Hospice recognizes the dignity, comfort and choices of every patient.
Hospice House is an 8-bed inpatient facility designed specifically to meet the needs of terminally ill patients and their families as they face the end of life.
Hospice House provides 24-hour care from registered nurses and hospice aides, as well as the companionship and support of trained hospice volunteers. Utilizing an interdisciplinary approach to care -- social work, pastoral care, clinical dietician, volunteer services and a nurse practitioner and medical director all play an essential part on the hospice team.
Hospice recognizes the dignity, comfort and choices of every patient. Our goal is to work in partnership with each patient, their doctor and their families to create an individualized plan to meet all of their physical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual needs.
- A private room and bathroom allows the patient to keep personal belongings close and to give family the opportunity for uninterrupted visiting.
- Visiting hours are unlimited and unrestricted by age. With advanced permission, family pets may also visit. If you’ve been ill, it’s safer for all patients if you telephone or email your loved one instead of visiting in person.
- While professional staff is available to provide direct care, families are welcome and encouraged to participate in the care of their loved ones.
- A comfortable sleeper chair is available for overnight visitors as well as a television, refrigerator, telephone and internet access in each room.
- A wireless pendant system enables the patient to instantly alert the duty nurse when assistance is needed.
- The Hospice House kitchen is available to all patients and their families to eat a meal together or prepare a light snack.
- Patients and visitors can spend time together in the Hospice House living room, sunroom, meditation room, and outside in the serene memorial garden.
- The Hospice House nursing staff has years of experience in pain and symptom management.
- The goal of the entire staff is to maintain the patient’s comfort and enhance quality of life.
- Sonos, an internet streaming music system, provides a variety of music genres that can be customized to each patient room creating a serene atmosphere.
- A social worker is available to provide support and counseling or just a quiet listening ear. The social worker will hold a family conference within 24-48 hours of the patient’s admission to Hospice House.
- The advance directive of a DNR allows us to provide all necessary palliative measures to insure the patient’s comfort while allowing a peaceful, natural death.
- Individualized bereavement support is available to loved ones, offering comfort and counseling for up to 13 months. The Hospice House is a smoke-free environment The Hospice House cannot be responsible for valuables such as jewelry or cash. These items should be left at home.
Mail a Patient at Hospice House
Mail should be addressed to:
- (Patient’s Name)
- Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk
Hospice House 101 Laurel Road
East Northport, NY 11731
- To contact the Hospice House, please call 631-930-9399
- To email a patient, click here