Providing charitable, compassionate care to the community has been the cornerstone of the Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk mission since we were founded in 1952. The generosity of donors helps us fulfill our mission to provide quality healthcare to patients regardless of their income, illness, insurance or ability to pay. Please see below for the many opportunities for you to support VNSHS and help families in your own community facing a healthcare crisis.
Make a Donation Now
You may designate your gift to support Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk General Programs, hospice or Hospice House. Gifts may be made in memory of a loved one or in honor of a VNSHS employee, volunteer or Board Member. All donations are tax-deductible to the extent of the law. You will receive a letter of acknowledgment for tax-purposes.
- To make your donation by phone, contact Johana Rodriguez at 631.930.9311.
- To make a donation by check, make check payable to VNSHS and mail to:
505 Main Street
Northport, NY 11768
If applicable, please indicate who your gift is In Memory of or In Honor of and what you designate your gift to support: VNSHS General Programs, Hospice or Hospice House. If you do not indicate what you would like to support, your gift will support VNSHS General Programs.
Other ways to donate
Make your donation go further! You may double or even triple you gift by having your employer match your donation. Ask your Human Resource Department for more information and the Matching Gift Form to complete. Mail your Matching Gift Form along with your contribution to Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk. We will complete and return the form to your employer.
Appreciated stock or real estate held for one year or more can be gifted to Visiting Nurse Serviced & Hospice of Suffolk allowing you, the donor, to avoid long-term capital gains tax. The full fair market value of the stock or real estate is available to VNSHS while you avoid a capital gains tax and are entitled to a charitable income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the stock or real estate. A qualified appraisal is required by the IRS to substantiate your income tax deduction for gifts of real estate.
Contact Susan Bruder at 631.930.9310 for details on making a gift of stock or real estate.
For many donors, the most significant expression of their values is made in the form of a charitable bequest in a will. Bequests may be a gift of cash or property or a percentage of an estate. Bequests allow donors to preserve assets for their own use and maintain control over the assets in case they want to change a bequest. The language of a bequest in a will should be drafted by your legal advisor and can be easily included when drafting a will for the first time or by adding a Codicil to an existing will. Versions of language for an unrestricted bequest that may serve as a useful starting point are here.
Most people have life insurance coverage to meet the needs that we all can face. But life insurance is often overlooked as a way to make a substantial gift for a relatively modest annual premium.
- Hospice as Beneficiary: A donor can name Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk as the primary beneficiary of a life insurance policy. The donor retains ownership of the policy, with access to the cash surrender value. At the donor’s death, the face value of the policy will be included in the donor’s gross estate. A donor can also name Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk as a secondary beneficiary to receive the proceeds should the primary beneficiary predecease the owner.
- Hospice as Owner: A donor may receive more immediate tax benefits for an irrevocable assignment of proceeds or gift of a life insurance policy to Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk. Upon the completion of the assignment or gift, the donor is permitted an immediate federal income-tax deduction for the lesser of either the policy’s fair-market value or the net premiums paid. In order to obtain an income-tax charitable deduction, the donor cannot retain any rights of the policy.
Memorialize Your Loved Ones Name in Stone in the Hospice House Memorial Garden
The Hospice House Memorial Garden provides a lasting way to memorialize a loved one. Bricks, pavers and granite pavers are available for purchase and engraving according to the donor’s wishes. A Memorial Garden Dedication Ceremony for donors and their loved ones is held annually in September. Orders must be placed by June to be included in the ceremony.
To reserve your commemorative brick or paver, please complete the below form:
You may also download, complete and mail the Memorial Garden Form to:
VNSHS 505 Main Street Northport, NY 11768
Whether you commit to a couple hours a week or a couple hours a year, Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk (VNSHS) provides rewarding opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of patients and families facing a healthcare crisis. Some volunteers have specialized expertise, but most are people who want to serve our community and help their friends and neighbors. Some volunteers work with patients, while others help at the office, events or in the community. Volunteer opportunities are available 365 days a year.
Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk hosts several fundraisers to benefit Hospice House throughout the year.
Whatever your interest, VNSHS has an event for you!
Paws for a Cause has become a treasured tradition. Although we cannot be together for a parade as in the past, we hope this year’s event will bring a smile as it brings us together virtually!
HOW PAWS FOR A CAUSE 2020 WORKS:
1. Register online, by phone at 631.261.7200 or by mailing a $25 check payable to VNSHS, 505 Main Street, Northport, NY 11768. Attn: Dog Walk. Sponsorships and tee signs are also available.
2. 100% of your $25.00 registration fee benefits Hospice House. All participants will be mailed a handmade dog bandana by Michele Miroff.
3. Walk your dog anytime, anywhere October 17 – 31, 2020.
4. Email a photo of your dog to email@example.com. Photo not required to participate. Photos of dogs in Halloween costumes are welcome!
5. On November 3rd, visit www.facebook.com/vistingnurseservicenorthport to view our Virtual Paws for a Cause Parade of photos submitted and to see if you won a gift card.
Please contact 631.930.9310 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SPRING FLING 2021
Due to the overwhelming popularity of our big band swing dance benefit last year, we are excited to host another jazz event to benefit Hospice House.
Details coming soon!
Purchase Scenic Cards to Benefit Hospice House
Photography by Bonnie Gruber, VNSHS Volunteer Coordinator
8 cards (2 of each design) for $15 includes shipping and handing in the Continental U.S.
The Community Thrift Shop is temporarily closed
We are excited to announce that the Grand Re-Opening of the Community Thrift Shop at 274 New York Avenue in Huntington is scheduled for October 2020. The proceeds of the sale of gently used women’s clothing, accessories, jewelry, accessories, men’s coats and shoes, small home goods, collectibles and antiques benefit programs that serve families in our community facing a healthcare crisis. All donations are tax-deductible.
Call 631.930.9310 to learn about donating, volunteering, the reopening and special discounts.