Whether you commit to a couple hours a week or a couple hours a year, Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk provides rewarding opportunities for you to make a difference in the lives of patients and families facing a healthcare crisis. Some volunteers have specialized expertise, but most are people who want to serve our community and help their friends and neighbors. Some volunteers work with patients, while others help at the office, events or in the community. Volunteer opportunities are available 365 days a year.
VNSHS Patient volunteers are a special gift to those who are facing a healthcare crisis or caring for someone who is at the end of life. Patient volunteers provide comfort, support, care and compassion to patients and caregivers. Our patient volunteers are important members of the VNSHS team who help at Hospice House or in a patient’s home which may include assisted living facilities.
Our patient volunteers:
- Provide friendly visits for companionship, conversation and socialization
- Shop or run errands
- Cook a favorite meal
- Play games, cards, piece together puzzles and make arts and crafts
- Assist with journaling, scrapbooking or creating a video of memories
- Read aloud a book, magazine or paper
- Comfort, support and provide respite for caregivers
- Sit quietly with patients who are alone in Hospice House. This eases anxiety and brings comfort to their family to know their loved one is not alone.
- Provide Pet Therapy, Music Therapy and Massage and Reiki (special training and certification required)
To ensure that patient volunteers are equipped and prepared, VNSHS requires that they complete orientation and training sessions as well as submit to a background check.
Working with our Licensed Social Worker, Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk bereavement volunteers assist with support groups and make friendly check in calls to caregivers.
Administrative and Fundraising Volunteers
Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk (VNSHS) administrative and fundraising volunteer opportunities do not require a standing commitment. These are perfect for Corporate Social Responsibility and team building, Community Service for students or anyone who has an occasional hour or two to spare. Volunteers help with:
- Office Support –Assist with mailings, filing and copying
- Fundraising and Events – Help with event preparation, raffle donations, onsite during events or even lead your own team at our annual 5K.
- Community Outreach – Represent and promote VNSHS at street fairs, volunteer fairs and other community initiatives
Community Thrift Shop Volunteers
VNSHS benefits from the efforts of volunteers who give their time and talent to The Community Thrift Shop. Proceeds from the sale of clothing, jewelry, accessories and home goods helps VNSHS provide services to families in our community facing a healthcare crisis. If you enjoy finding deals and treasures, working with customers and helping them find a bargain, please consider volunteering at The Community Thrift Shop. Whether you volunteer a shift, a day or more, you are making a difference in the community and your help is greatly appreciated!
Visiting Nurse Service & Hospice of Suffolk is delighted to carry on The Community Thrift Shop tradition. Although the Shop is temporarily closed, we hope you will check back soon for information about our new location and reopening plans.
For more information about volunteering, please contact Bonnie Gruber, Volunteer Coordinator at 631.930.9340 or firstname.lastname@example.org